In the late 1970s, Bob and Maggie Gibbs began what became the annual Bob Gibbs’ Jazz on the Lake. The event at their lakeside home in Port Huron later moved to the Thomas Edison Inn. After Bob’s death in 2006, his friends created the Blue Water Jazz Society to continue and expand the event. This year’s event, which includes numerous partners and sponsors, has expanded into Jazz and Art on the River and has moved to the campus of St. Clair County Community College. Jazz and Art on the River is set for 2 to 9 p.m. Sunday, July 29. The free event will be on the lawn north of the Fine Arts Building along Erie Street on SC4’s Port Huron campus. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. Food, beer and wine concessions will be available. The event will feature numerous live musical performances. It also will feature SC4 student and professional art, including ceramics, wood-turned objects and watercolor paintings.
The music lineup will be as follows:
- 2 to 2:40 p.m. – Brazil and Beyond of Sterling Heights (Latin jazz)
- 3 to 4 p.m. – Open jam session
- 4:30 to 5:10 p.m. – Cheri Oliver Quintet of Detroit (Motown funk)
- 5:30 to 6:10 p.m. – Open jam session
- 6:30 to 7:10 p.m. – Doug Horn Trio of Ypsilanti
- 7:30 to 9 p.m. – Blue Water Big Band of Sarnia (with Sonja Gustafson)
This year’s event also is sponsored in cooperation with Community Foundation of St. Clair County, E & A Credit Union, Earl Smith Distributing Co., SC4 Foundation and SONS Outreach.
For details, call (810) 989-5709