Holiday time can be hard on a home. House guests, parties, cooking and baking combined with a busy schedule often result in spills, stains and frustrations. Biernot’s Carpet One Floor & Home has compiled simple cleaning steps to relieve holiday stress. “Holiday stains don’t have to add stress to an already busy schedule. The keys to handling stains with ease are being prepared and responding quickly,” says Michele Biernot-Kinna, of Biernot’s Carpet One Floor & Home. There are a few basic techniques to learn.
• Apply: Wet a clean, white (not printed) paper towel with a cleaning solution. Then dampen the carpet with it. Avoid wetting the carpet through to its backing.
• Blot: Absorb the excess liquid from the carpet by pressing straight down with a clean, dry, white paper towel. Do not rub. Place a half-inch thick pad of clean, dry, white paper towels with a weight on top and leave overnight if necessary.
• Scrape: Gently scratch the soiled area with the blunt edge of a spoon. Scrape from the outside edge of the spot toward the center.
Putting together a holiday stain “emergency kit” before the holidays begin can also help relieve some stress when accidents happen. A good “emergency kit” should include:
• White Vinegar
• Baking Soda
• Unprinted White Paper Towels
• Clear Dish Washing Detergent – Mix 1/2 teaspoon detergent with one cup of warm (not hot) water when you need it.
• A Laundry Pre-soak Solution: Mix 1 teaspoon enzyme laundry detergent with one cup of water before using.
• A Dry Powder Carpet Cleaner.
• Dry Cleaning Solvent: Non-oily, non-caustic type sold as spot removal for garments. Caution: May be flammable.