A fire in the early hours yesterday called the Port Huron Fire Division to a residential home on fire with trapped occupants. Fire crews were met with heavy smoke and high heat conditions on arrival. Two of the homes occupants were out of the home when the responders arrived, with one being assisted by a Police Officer and the other self-rescued. The third occupant was rescued from inside the home by fire crews. The fire was quickly extinguished, but the home sustained serious damage from the very high heat and smoke levels. The family’s dog died as a result of the fire, but family members were able to get the newborn puppies safely out. All three occupants were transported to local hospitals for treatment. One of the occupants was then transported to a Detroit area hospital for further treatment. On scene crews were assisted by Marysville Fire Department, DPS-Police Division and Tri-Hospital EMS. The fire investigation continue but preliminary results indicate the fire may be a result of careless cooking. This is the second careless cooking fire in the last six days that has occurred within the City of Port Huron.