Fire Leaves Family Homeless
February 20th, 2012
Three fire departments were kept busy yesterday afternoon at a fire at 8270 Duquette Rd in Brockway Township. It is reported that flames were seen from basement windows when firefighters arrived on scene about 12:30 p.m. The blaze was believed to have started at a corn-burning stove in the basement. Reports say the family started a fire in the stove, left for an unknown amount of time and came home to smoke coming from the basement. Two firefighters received minor injuries – one was taken to Port Huron Hospital with an ankle injury and the other received a neck injury but did not go to the hospital. According to fire officials, there was heavy smoke and water damage throughout the house with fire damage in the basement. At least four people were living in the house.